Fri, 05 Mar 2021

Following the deaths of 24 soldiers after clashing last June, Indian and Chinese troops have withdrawn from a disputed Himalayan border site.

The withdrawal occurred at the mountainous Pangong Tso Lake, a poorly marked border area, where clashes took place.

In a statement, commanders said they will jointly work to reduce tensions along the border.

China and India announced their intention to withdraw forces from the lake area on 11 February, and commanders met on Saturday to review how the operation was progressing.

"The two sides positively appraised the smooth completion of disengagement of frontline troops in the Pangong Lake area, noting that it was a significant step forward that provided a good basis for resolution of other remaining issues along the..Western Sector," Sunday's military communique said.

"The two sides agreed to follow the important consensus of their state leaders, continue their communication and dialogue, stabilise and control the situation on the ground, and push for a mutually acceptable resolution of the remaining issues in a steady and orderly manner so as to jointly maintain peace and tranquillity in the border areas."

Thousands of Chinese and Indian troops had been deployed around Pangong Tso Lake, as the area was claimed by both countries.

The 2,000 mile border is poorly marked. A 1962 war between India and China was sparked by disputes about the border.

In clashes in June, 20 Indian troops died, along with four Chinese soldiers.

More Afghanistan News

Access More

Sign up for Afghanistan News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!