Wednesday 28th June, 2017
bomb-hits-us-military-convoy-afghan-policeman-kills-5-colleagues
ISLAMABAD - A roadside bomb Friday struck an American military convoy north of the Afghan capital, Kabul, but "no injuries have been reported," says the U.S. military.

Without sharing more details, a U.S. military spokesman told VOA "the disabled vehicle is being recovered and the convoy will continue and complete its mission."

Local TOLOnews TV, however, quoted witnesses as saying the blast in Charikar, the capital of Parwan province, caused several casualties, without giving further details.

U.S. military convoys usually undertake missions together with Afghan security forces.

The Taliban instantly took credit for the violence, claiming it left several U.S. soldiers dead, though the insurgent group often issues inflated tolls for such attacks.

Separately, an Afghan policeman has gunned down five colleagues in the eastern Nangarhar province.

The overnight incident of a so-called "insider attack" happened at an outpost in the Ghanikhil district. The shooter fled the scene after collecting firearms of the victims.

There were no immediate claims of responsibility, though assailants often join Taliban ranks after committing the violence.

Nangarhar is where Islamic State militants stormed the provincial headquarters of the state-run Radio Television of Afghanistan, or RTA, earlier this week.

The suicide-bomb-and-gun attack left at least six people dead, including four RTA employees and two security forces, while many more were wounded.

Loyalists of the Syria-based terrorist group operate out of several remote districts in the province, which borders Pakistan.

More Afghanistan News

Access More
Loading data...
{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.DATE}}

{{item.TITLE}}

{{item.DATE}}

Sign up for Afghanistan News

a daily newsletter full of things to discuss over drinks.and the great thing is that it's on the house!